Thursday 15 May 2014

Camp Aloha

So I've only got a month to go before I'm flying out and starting work at a summer camp in America.

I've been hired at Camp Aloha which is a girl's camp for ages 12-17 in Vermont. Camp Aloha is a camp based on community and tradition, encouraging campers to spend their time at camp "living simply in nature" and learn new skills away from technology.
"Becoming your best self - in the world and for the world - that's the essence of a Vermont aloha summer"
Aloha campers wear green and white uniforms with the aim to remove any superficial preconceptions about each other and allow campers to be free to get messy and be defined by who they are rather, then their appearance.
"See who I am, not what I'm wearing"
Campers stay in tents on wooden platforms or rustic cabins with 3-5 campers and 1 or 2 counsellors to make up a tent or cabin "family". It is the counsellors job to take care of the campers within their family, making sure they're on time and having fun throughout their time at camp. I am excited to meet my "tent family" and be such a big part of making these girls summer the best it can be.

As well as being in charge of you tent family counsellors work within departments to provide a wide range of activities for campers to choose from each day.


My finished chair

I've been hired to teach woodworking and crafts. I won't lie I am quite nervous about this as I haven't used my woodworking skills since my A level in product design 2 years ago! But back then I designed and built an armchair, so I'm hoping all the skills are still there and will come flooding back when I start. Like riding a bike.... Right?



No comments:

Post a Comment