Saturday 21 June 2014

American food apreciation

I have fallen in love with the food in this wonderful country so thought it was only fitting to dedicate a post to the tasty food I have sampled in the week I've been here.
It started the day after I arrived when after going into Vermont's capital to sort out a social security number we stopped at 'Dunkin Donuts' and I had a delicious chocolate cake type doughnut and an oreo milkshake. Despite knowing the stereotype of bigger portion sizes I was still surprised about the size I got after asking and paying for a small! Later that day I went with some other counsellors to a local ice cream place called 'The whippi dip' and got a chocolate-vanilla twist ice cream, again I got a generous serving and it was delicious. I will be going back.
You may assume from all the food relayed excursions that camp food wasn't very good but that is definitely not that case! The food is both delicious and plentiful. I'm starting to love American style bacon at breakfast (though I will be happy to get home and get a real bacon sandwhich), grilled cheeses and the tomato soup are also some favourites of the home made meals the incredible kitchen staff have been supplying. The desserts though have shone through with cookies, brownies and a phenomenal banana cream pie! I also tried my first ever smore the other night on a unit camp out. It was amazing roasting marshmallows over our open fire which overlooked Lake Morey.
As well as me trying out American food and snacks I have provided some of the American counsellors with an insight to British food as I brought with me some chocolate and sweets from home. Today I shared a pack of chocolate fingers, first I had to explain what they were but after everyone tried one they did not last long.
You may have noticed I am eating so much here but with the busy schedule and multiple hills I feel like I am constantly hungry! And don't worry between all the cake and cookies I am staying hydrated and getting a good selection of fruit, salad and vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment