Tuesday 24 June 2014

Nature, bugs and sundae

So I've been at camp now for a bit over a week and its been so great! There are a lot of bugs and wildlife around but that's side effect of being back to nature and living outside. I've been bitten a few times including waking up this morning with a bit right on the side of my eye. Last week we actually had an invasion of butterflies on the porch of our main house, it was crazy, I've forgotten what they're called but they do all their eating in caterpillar form then change and don't even have mouths and just have sex and die 2 weeks later.
A day or 2 later we had to clear out the shack at crossroads where birds and rats had moved in over the winter months then later that day we found another rats nest in the art barn! But it's not all bad the stars at night here are amazing! MJ (my camp director) pointed out the big dipper for me and the milky way!
Whilst the last week has been busy with prepping for camp and clearing out animals we've had a bit of downtime too. On Sunday night we watched Hairspray in the counsellor room with a lot of singing and dancing along. We had "Gulicking up" last night (a social event for all 6 camps in the aloha foundation) but I found that a bit overwhelming and my back was really painful so wasn't that into it but they served gallons of ice cream with amazing toppings for make your own sundae.
The hardest challenge so far though was walking up the hill back to my tent without my torch.
Anyway I've got my day off now then campers arrive tomorrow so it's gonna be hectic but will try update again soon. Might even do quick update later today if I've got the time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren, thanks for staying in touch. Glad you are having such a good time. Life will get very busy when the campers arrive! Dad xx

    ReplyDelete