Friday 27 June 2014

Campers arrive!

Opening day was long and an adjustment to see say the least. The day before my ankle gave out on me, a suspected return of my tendonitis from the end of last year but it's OK, I've got an ankle support on and spent time over the first day icing and elevating it as instructed so it is coping well. Of course it happened at the most inconvenient time as opening day is busy and you are going up and down the hill more times than average (especially when people call you down the hill unnecessarily).
As if the ankle issue wasn't enough it rained most of opening day and poured down throughout the night making slippery hills and turned the ground outside my tent into a more swamp like substance. Typical the first time it rains in the week and half I've been here is opening day. But apparently it is always the way so at least we maintained the standard.
Despite the trials and retributions my campers all arrived and have settled in really well and have become good friends, so much so they rearranged our tent so all their beds could be together on one side.
Our first full day of camp went well, we had department time where I led journal making along with another counsellor, Ruthie. That went well and we've got the beginnings of some great looking journals (including one I'm making for myself).
Then over lunch and rest hour I got to go tomorrow training along with some other counsellors so we can help out with the ropes course when needed. That was so much fun but quite scary as well as it was wet and slippery and we had to do pretend falls for practice. It took trust exercises to new levels!
In the evening we had play fair where the whole camp plays games and you meet some more people. It even included the counsellors being serenaded by the campers to Taylor Swift. It was a beautiful moment.
After the kids got  bed the counsellors got to hang down at the Hale, for a low key evening which was nice but I am now knackered, especially as I never got me rest hour today so I am gonna go to bed. But first just a note to say that today I found out that a whole bunch of the counsellors thought I was around 22/23 years old. I'm feeling like a grown up.

No comments:

Post a Comment