Friday 12 September 2014

Back to Britain

Wednesday morning I woke up early as I had had an early night but had a lazy morning before I checked out and got the shuttle to the airport at 1pm. It was 3 hours before I could check in so I sat down and tried to entertain myself with reading and games on my kindle (I got a high score with 5500 points on "Dumb ways to die"). After an hour though I was bored and hungry for lunch so I went in search of food, I found it downstairs in the arrivals hall in the shape of a diner. I had just sat down when suddenly a friend from camp, Hannah, appeared in front of me. She was on a flight a couple of hours after mine and was doing exactly the same thing as me, biding time till her check in. She sat with me whilst I had my lunch and we caught up on each other's travels until my time finally came.

Once checked in and through the time machine they call security, I set off in search of souvenirs I could spend my excess money on. I got some more chocolate and candy for my family and a classic 'I heart NY' short for myself. Not being able to buy alcohol made it a lot harder to spend as much money as I had. In a last ditch attempt to spend it I gratefully to a manicure and : and massage whilst I waited for my flight. It was really nice and a much better way to accommodate the waiting time rather then sat bored at the gate for an hour. There was a massage chair too which felt great at the time but unfortunately didn't put my back in a great place for the flight and I was fidgeting the whole way unable to get confortable. Note to self massage chairs are not advised to be used before being sat still for 7 hours.

I was really excited to watch some of the great selection of movies they had on the plane but I realised at the start of the journey my screen wasn't working and neither was the guys a couple of seats along from me. We told the hostess about this and she said she'd reset them for us and then an announcement came up telling everyone that because a few screens weren't working every screen would be reset and it would take about 60 minutes!! We shrunk Don in our seats thinking surely he said 16 minutes!? Twenty minutes later our food arrived which provided a distraction at least and then 10 minutes after that our screens came on too! My first movie was "The Lego Movie" and later in the flight I watched "The Other Woman".

I got throughout customs and baggage really fast and was able to change my coach ticket to an earlier one so I got home an hour and a half earlier then expected and surprised my mum. My mum then made me what I've been looking foward to for nearly the entire 3 months I've been away, a bacon sandwhich!! It was delicous! I was really confused as to what tine zone I was in when I git back coz I didn't feel in either American of UK time zones and ended up falling asleep mid afternoon (UK time) for an hour or so. I then stayed awake and caught up on the last episode of Casualty (getting the low-down on the the last 3 months worth of action from my mum) and caught up on the first 2 episodes of "The Great British Bake Off". I then fell asleep at 9pm and didn't wake-up until midday the next day. 15 hours of sleep! I didn't even realise I was that tired!! It's good to be home though but also quite strange and surreal. And as annoying and irritating as they can be at times, I have definitely missed my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment