Tuesday 1 July 2014

Freedom!

Today is my day off! My first day off since the campers arrived last wednesday and if you saw me and Shel (the counsellor I'm hanging out with today) you would think we just got out of prison! Its not coz we don't love camp, we do! Its just the freedom to eat when we want, do what we like and not have children constantly with you.
We got a lift into Hanover and got breakfast at a really nice little cafe called 'Market Place' and I had french toast with a side of sausage and freshly squeezed orange juice, delicious! And I didn't even have to pour water for 9 kids before I could have some myself!

Breakfast

We then browsed a couple of really cute shops before stopping at the library for a much needed fix of internet because whilst we do have WiFi at camp we can only use it after taps and only in the tech room which is small and doesn't have sofas like the counsellor room does. Also there are she nights when you're on hill duty or have meetings and therefore can't get to it so it's nice coz it gives me a chance to update this blog as well as trig to catch my family and friends for a quick conversation or send them an email to let them know i'm still alive (something my brothers expect to change soon at the end of a gun).

We then got on a bus for the 30minute ride to Wal-Mart (which was completely free of charge Alfie!) where we spent about an hour and 40 minutes browsing. We got some things of necessity like bug spray and batteries as well as some fun things for the 4th of July and of course a couple of bits of American candy. We then got back on the FREE bus back to Hanover.

Back in Hanover we got a drink and some potato fries in a place called Molly's on main st then went to the cinema to see "The fault in our stars". We cried so much! No spoilers but because I had read the book I knew what was coming and was balling within the first few minutes!! We left the cinema with tears streaming down our faces, it was not a great look. But the guy who played Augustus was so cute!

Finally we headed to the Pine restaurant at Hanover inn for dinner and it was delicious!! We shared two starters, octopus and gnocchi both of which were delicious and then for my main I had perhaps the tastiest burger of my life! I wasn't able to finish it though so the rest is coming back to camp for a late evening snack. Drinks wise I was unable to indulge in a cocktail as they have their silly legal drinking age of 21 but instead the bartender created me a unique cocktail based on what I was in the mood for. We called it 'the lauren' (but it must be said in a French accent).




It was kind of a day of food but we had loads of fun and got lots of stuff done. I'm already looking forward to my next day off! Again, not because I hate camp but because it fun to explore a bit, after all I am half way across the world, I would like to explore whats here a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment