Tuesday 8 July 2014

From social events to the working day

Camp is great. I really do love it but it is also exhausting. I am with kids about 21 hours a day, (24 if I'm on hill duty). Luckily though counsellors have our own space on camp to relax for the small amount of time we are without children. The main place is the counsellor room which is a big room filled with sofas. There's also a TV in there so we can watch films but that's only been done twice, more often people just chill and chat there. We also have the technology room but that's just a small room where we can get on our phones or computer devices. Lanakila hosts all Aloha counsellors most nights with their location 'Up the hill' where counsellors can walk to (about a mile to the camp and 5/10 minutes walk up the hill) to chill around a bonfire at night. We do also have our special events for example cereal night. Last night was Midi fest. This was a party hosted by the midi counsellors (trainee counsellors aged 17). There was an 80's themes and everyone dressed up and we got unlimited mocktails for $1. This was on camp so we probably kept the kids awake a few extra hours as we sang along with 80's hits (of which there are so many) but I think we deserved it.
80's themed midi fest
Today it was straight back to work though with the campers and we had a usual morning with breakfast, squad and assembly before the days activities. Arts and crafts was a little quiet today so I spent first period reading a book aloud to another counsellor and a few campers. Then I helped in woodworking a got to stain my clock, whilst simultaneously staining half my t-shirt the lovely shade of red mahogany I had choosen. Then in the afternoon I wasn't needed to lead anything again so worked in pottery, cutting a foot into my bowl and messing around on the wheel with a camper, getting completely covered in clay! There's a song at camp about how green shorts never get dirty and whilst the grass stains won't show, clay and red mahogany stain definitely will.
All in a day's work.


No comments:

Post a Comment