Monday 18 August 2014

From Brooklyn to Coney Island

The bus journey into the city was brutal! The internet wasn't working on the bus and then the bus arrived an hour and a half late!! i mean sure theres traffic and all but an hour and a half!! RIDICULOUS!! Sydne and her mum met me at the bus station and we headed back to theres stopping for dinner on the way. Friday night we watched some movies and took out Sydne's braids. It was so refreshing to be able to chill and gave me a chance to research a few things for my travels.

On Saturday I woke up at half seven (obviously still on camp time) but after a while ended up falling back asleep until 11am!! The bed I'm in now is every bit as comfortable as the one in Northampton! Once I eventually got up and ready me and Sydne got on the train to head into downtown Manhattan. On the train a kid broke out into a rap with a mic and little handheld boombox raising money for his career as a rapper, he was 13. In downtown we went to Chipotle, a Mexican restaurant that everyone raves about! It's kinds of like a Nando's equivalent but not nearly as good in my opinion (but I guess I'm biased). I then got back on the train, this time alone to head to Coney Island for some touristy stuff. Once again on the train I witnessed an impromptu performance, this one was in the form of dance but really they were bouncing, twisting and doing all kinds of other tricks using the bars on the train. It was pretty impressive.

Coney Island was awesome and much bigger then I expected. I walked along the Boardwalk and saw a bunch of impressive sand sculptures before getting a card with credits on to go on some of the rides. My first stop was of course The Cyclone which was opened in 1927 and is the most well known ride at the park. It was pretty amazing and also quite terrifying as it was quite a bumpy ride. I also went on Thunderbolt which is one of the newest rides at the park. It begins with a vertical climb up before being released to speed practically vertically down. This really was a thrill ride! I rode on some other rides to before meeting back up with Sydne and her friends and we hung out on the beach before heading back. By the time we got back it was quite late and by the time we actually got to going to bed it was even later and we were exhausted. Yet I made sure I had my alarm set for the morning so I could start on the tourist attractions of New York City.


No comments:

Post a Comment